Sunday, June 26, 2005

Crumbs to Bricks...Part I (Panama City, Fl)

A lotta folks have always asked me to tell my life story, as some have said it would probably be quite interesting...and, as I said when I was just getting started , I would tell y'all about me.....well today, Sunday, June 27, 2005, hustling came to mind...why, I have no clue...but I just started reminiscing about the game, and how I am, what I am today, and how hustling played a role in it.......let's go back.....waaaaaaaaay back, to 1985, to be exact...that's when I got my first taste of hustling, and what being a "ghetto superstar" was all about....13 years old, mind you! I had had a glimpse of superstardom at an early age......I was a peewee football star...and if you ever played peewee football, you know what I'm talkin bout....In Florida, peewee football was BIG! Real big.....names, highlights, articles, pictures, and box scores in the daily paper.....and sometimes, front page......peewee football was big, ya hear me...and that's usually where you earned your REP!!!! If you shined on the field, and your name stayed in the paper, as mine did, then you got star treatment in the hood.....when kids ask for your autograph, then you're ghetto fabulous!!! I loved that shit!!!!!
Back to 1985.........was going to Mowat Jr High School (only old heads know bout Jr. High School...Middle School is that new shit!)......staying with Granny and 'nem.......wuddn't a lot of loot in the house, so wuddn't too many EXTRA's...nah mean.....Mom's was recovering from a major surgery, hence the reason for being in Panama City in the first place.....so shit was tight.......And coming from Sarasota, to Panama City was like going back in time....PC was always home, cause that's where Granny lived, and that's where summers were spent....but living there.....nah!!! Talk about slow....them niggas was slow.....I couldn't, and still can't, dance for shit....but to them cats....I was tight!....I was up on shit that they hadn't seen yet, and had songs that they hadn't heard yet, so I was THE SHIT! "that nigga from down south".......So I looked forward to going to Panama City every summer.......cause the game didn't stop....just a different location.....however, it was different living there....I had to fit in with them niggas, yet and still, remain apart.....it was cool coming for the summers, cause Mom's would leave some pocket change.....butMom's was sick....and Granny hadn't raised teenagers in years.....nor worked.....so damn......after one week of school...being the "new kid" ...y'all member how that shit went...got all the attention....I had to do sum'in.....how could I make some extra loot? The shit back then was going to McDonald's after school chillin....how could I be cool, and not hang? No spare loot....what????

Blow Pops

Damn right...Blow Pops....I started hustling blow pops....in Jr. High...blow pops was like crack! A bag cost me $1.86, at .$25 per pop, I grossed about $5 per bag....was bringin at least 5 bags per day to school, killin them fools!!!! Pockets stayed on swole....pushin blow pops.....Granny even helped me get started...she saw how independent I had become, and wasn't botherin her for any money, she financed a few bags..would get me some industrial sized bags from Sam's or some other wholesaler, when cats tried to "rank" on the game....stayed one step ahead of them niggas.....You couldn't tell me shit.......even then, I saw, chics like money.....in '85, a 13 year old with $50-75 in his pockets was the shit....and the girls knew it.........they created a monster...........ala, the birth of "Pretty Tony."


Stay Tuned............

6 comments:

Tazzee said...

I can't wait to hear the rest.

I can totally relate, my grandmother used to buy my boxes of blow pops at Sam's too. But I was selling mine in elementary school. At least you didn't have a younger sister stealing your inventory.

2 Can Play That Game said...

yeah Keif, I remember those days well; Though I never had a weight prollem, I remember 'em fondly, hell, even today I can relate, as I'm currently a coach;

Anonymous said...

Like Taz...can't wait to hear the rest...

BI

SexyCool said...

the birth of pretty tony...classic...i can't wait til you get to the part about the perm...

Star said...

Cant wait for the rest. All I kept doing was picturing Jr, hustling Blow Pops out of a locker and little fast tail girls standing near him waiting for him to finish

Cheryl said...

Just visiting by way of another blog, I loved this intro. I have a friend that grew up in panama City - and he couldn't wait to break out. He refers to it in much the same manner you do, including peewee football. Great post, I'll be back to see how the sotry continues..."Pretty Tony"...I thought that was Ghostface...

**RPM**